- Minister of State for Defence Dr Mohamad Maliki Bin Osman officiated at the opening ceremony of the 4th International Maritime Security Conference (IMSC) at the Changi Exhibition Centre this morning. Themed “Safe and Secure Seas – Strengthening Maritime Cooperation”, this year’s conference featured eight speakers who touched on the importance of ensuring the safety, security and success of the international maritime system, and the need to embrace a cooperative security approach to create critical capabilities to address a widening array of threats. The conference saw some 350 participants, including navy and air force chiefs, coast guard directors-general and leading maritime academics.
- In his opening address, Dr Maliki highlighted, “We have the opportunity to tap on the diverse and extensive expertise of stakeholders and prominent members of the international maritime community present today. We can leverage on this shared wisdom and ask ourselves how we can build stronger linkages in cooperation through multilateral cooperation.”
- Permanent Secretary (Defence Development) Major-General (NS) Ng Chee Khern also officiated at the opening of the International Naval Engineering Conference @ International Maritime Defence Exhibition and Conference Asia 2015 (INEC@IMDEX Asia 2015) in the afternoon. Held at the Changi Exhibition Centre, some 200 attendees from more than 20 countries came together to discuss topics on naval technology that are of interest to defence and maritime security, such as multiplying effect, flexible platforms, underwater technology and effective support solutions. The conference theme for this year was “Adapt and Transform – Flexible Capability in an Uncertain Environment”.
- These conferences were conducted in conjunction with the International Maritime Defence Exhibition (IMDEX) Asia 2015. The IMSC was jointly hosted by the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) with the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies and Experia Events. The INEC@IMDEX Asia 2015 was co-organised by Experia Events and the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology (IMarEST), and supported by the Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA) and the RSN.
- In addition, opening ceremonies were also conducted for two bilateral exercises that the RSN is participating in separately with the People’s Liberation Army (Navy) and the Indian Navy on the sidelines of IMDEX Asia. These two exercises aim to strengthen bilateral ties and enhance mutual understanding and friendship between personnel of the participating navies.
MINDEF Communications Organisation
MINDEF Building, 303 Gombak Drive, #01-26 Singapore 669645 Tel:6768 3540 Fax 6764 6119
MINDEF Website: www.mindef.gov.sg
MINDEF Portal: www.ns.sg
MINDEF eServices Centre Tel: 1800-eNSNSNS (1800-3676767) SMS: eNSNS (36767)